|Greater Chennai Corporation Limits|
|Zone||Central Chennai Zone|
|• Type||Chennai Corporation|
|• Body||Chennai Corporation|
|• Total||3.78 km2 (1.46 sq mi)|
|Elevation||16 m (52 ft)|
|• Density||7,600/km2 (20,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||TN 10|
Porur is one of the important residential locality in Chennai metropolitan city it comes under Chennai Corporation (Ward no. 151 and 153 of Zone XI) of the city of Chennai in Tamil Nadu, India. It occupies a crucial position on the Mount-Poonamallee Road, Porur is known for its Chemical industries, Manufacturing plants, IT Corridors, Residential colonies, Vegetable and fish markets.
Porur is of great antiquity and is believed to have been existent since the Pallava period. It was upgraded from village panchayat to town panchayat on October 1, 1977, and is now one of the main centres in chennai city. Porur is one of the developed places of Chennai. It was included in the Chennai Corporation(City limit) by the year 2011.
Porur Lake is the major source of fresh water for suburban areas such as Iyyapanthangal, Moulivakkam, Paraniputhur and Mangadu. Porur is also known for the world class Ramachandra Medical College. Porur houses Mono-pulse Secondary Surveillance radar, one of the two radars in the city, which aids air-transport communication.
Porur is located at 13.03° N and 80.16° E, and 52 feet (15 metres) above sea level. It is bounded on the east and south-east by the Pallavaram Hills. It is located 18 km south-west of Chennai city limits on the Guindy -Poonamalee road which eventually merges into the Chennai-Bangalore Highway. Porur Junction is the intersection/meeting point of Guindy and Vadapalani. For administrative purposes, Porur has been included in Thiruvallur district. In 2018, Porur has been added to the Chennai district under the zone of Central Chennai.
Porur was a little-known village administered as a part of the Saidapet taluk of the then Chengalpattu district in 1961. During that time, the Saidapet taluk adjoining Madras city, especially the Mount-Poonamallee Road, was famous for industries and chemical plants producing a variety of products.
Porur village panchayat was upgraded to a Grade-I town panchayat on October 1, 1977. Later, it was upgraded to a selection grade town panchayat starting from February 24, 1982. The population of the town at the time of the 1981 census was 8,633. When the Chengalpattu district was bifurcated on January 1, 1997 into Chengalpattu and Thiruvallur districts, Porur became a part of Thiruvallur district And Then Porur Comes Under the control of Greater Chennai Corporation which Was Added to the Chennai City Limits in the year of 2011 And Then Porur which was once in Thiruvallur District of the Maduravoyal Taluk is Now Added to the Chennai district in the year of 2018, Which makes it as a Core Chennai Area.The Entire Maduravoyal Taluk have been included in the Chennai District Which Comprises of Areas Such as Porur, Valasaravakkam, Ramapuram, Nerkundram, Nolambur and Thandalam. The Maduravoyal Taluk have been added to Central Chennai Zone of the Chennai District, Which now makes Porur a Part of Central Chennai Zone of the Chennai District
Porur is situated at an elevation of 16 metres (52 feet) and is surrounded by the Pallavaram Hills. The Porur Lake along with the Chembarambakkam Lake forms the Rette Eri (Two Lakes divided by road, one Lake has water and another one were occupied by people for living a long ago), is the principal source of fresh water for the suburb and surrounding areas. It is in the center of Porur separating the eastern parts from Sri Ramachandra Medical College and the western residential areas. The Porur Flyover was built over the lake, which connects Maduravoyal with Tambaram near the Tambaram Bypass road.
Some of the important localities of Porur are Porur Gardens, Suresh Nagar, Alapakkam, Karambakkam, Arunachalam Garden, Devi Nagar, New Colony, Lakshmi Nagar, Mangala Nagar, Ramakrishna Nagar, Meenakshi Nagar, Sakthi Nagar, R.E Nagar, Ambal nagar, Ganesh Avenue, Santhosh Nagar and Kaviya Gardens
Porur Aerial View
Chennai (Porur) in a Single Frame
As of 2001[update] India census, Porur had a population of 28,782. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Porur has an average literacy rate of 79%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 76%. In Porur, 9% of the population is under 6 years of age. Population of Porur was 30,060 in 2011. The sex ratio was 938 females for every 1000 males. Porur is now administered by the Greater Chennai Corporation .
Porur is well-connected with the city interior areas like guindy, vadapalani etc and also other neighbouring suburbs through roads. It is connected with Nungambakkam by Arcot Road and with Guindy and Poonamallee by the Mount-Poonamallee Road. The Kundrathur road connects with the temple town of Kundrathur. The three roads meet at the Porur Junction where the porur flyover is located which is an important traversing point for buses running to Kanchipuram and Bangalore.
Porur has five bus stops, two in Lakshmi Nagar, one at Porur Junction and one each for Ramachandra Medical College and Sakthi Nagar. Share auto services operate between Porur and Guindy and Porur and Vadapalani. Porur-Guindy : 54 series, 88 series and M49
Some of Prominent Bus Routes from Porur to various destinations
- 54 - Poonamallee - Broadway (via Guindy)
- 254 - Iyappanthangal - Brodway (via Guindy)
- 88K - Kundrathur - Broadway (via Guindy)
- 11H - Iyappanthangal - Brodway (via KKNagar, TNagar)
- 17B - Mangadu- Brodway (via TVS, Vadaplani)
- 16J - CMBT - Iyyappanthangal (via Virugambakkam, Chinmaya Nagar)
- 16M - Mangadu - Koyambedu Market (via K.K.Nagar)
- M49 - Iyyapanthangal - Thiruvanmiyur (via Guindy, Adyar)
- M54 - Poonamallee - Sadiapet(via Guindy)
- 49 - Iyyapanthangal - Thiruvanmiyur (via Guindy, Adyar)
- 49A - Poonamallee - TNagar (via K.K.Nagar)
- 49B - Poonamallee - TNagar (via Mangadu, K.K.Nagar)
- 25G - Poonamallee - Anna Square (via vadapalani, Gemini, Royapettah, Marina)
- 54B - Porur - Saidapet ( via Gerugambakkam)
- 26 - Iyappanthangal - Brodway (via vadapalani, TVS)
- 54F - Poonamallee - Mandaveli ( via Adyar)
- F54 - Poonamallee -Mandaveli ( via Sathya Studio, Kottur)
- 554 - Sunguvarchataram - Tnagar ( via Poonamallee)
- 576 - Kanchepuram - Tnagar ( via Poonamallee)
- 501 - Thiruvallur - Tnagar ( via Poonamallee)
- 502 - Broadway - Sriperumbdur ( via Poonamallee)
- 582 - vallakottai - Tnagar (via Guindy)
- 17P - Pattur - vadaplani ( via Mangadu)
- 88M - Nallur - Broadway (via Guindy)
- M88 - Kundarthur - vadapalani
- 88C - Kundarthur Thandalam - Broadway (via Guindy)
- 88A - Nandambakkam - Broadway (via vadapalani, TVS)
- 54K - Nemam - Broadway(via Guindy)
- 597 - Thiruvallur - Tnagar (via Guindy)
- 54L - Vellavedu - Broadway (via Guindy)
- 54T - Chembarambakakm - Broadway (via Guindy)
- 154A - Thirunidravur - Tnagar(via Guindy)
- 154B - Naganallur - Poonamallee (via Guindy)
- 154 - Pattur - Tnagar(via Guindy)
- 54H - Poonamallee - Saidapet ( via Porur, Gunidy)
- 166 - Iyappanthangal - Tamabram (via Porur, Kundarathur, Pallavarum)
- 37G - Vallalar Nagar - Iyappanthangal (via Porur, Nungambakkam, Purasaivakkam)
- 54Lcut - Velachery - Vellavedu ( via Poonamallee, Porur, Gunidy)
- M25 - Iyappanthangal -Vadapalani Murugan temple
- 54M - Mangadu - Broadway ( via Guindy)
1000-year-old Shiva Temple that is called Ramanathaeaswarar Temple (Guru Sthalam) is located at Porur Located nearer to Porur EB office.
Porur has a number of temples, mosques, churches, Shopping stores etc.
1.The Ramanathaeswarar - Shiva temple ( Guru Sthalam ) is located at Porur towards Kundarathur Road side nearer to Porur EB office, is one of the oldest Hindu temples built in Chennai city.
2.The Arulmigu Bala Murugan Temple is located at Easwaran Koil Stree, Porur.
3.The Nagathamman Temple also located in Porur @ Kundrathur main road.
4.Arulmigu Ponniamman temple is over 40 years old temple located on Karambakkam.
6.The St.Joseph Church and the evangeline church is Located in Porur.
7.The Control tower popularly known as Radar Station for Madras Airport Authority with a control radius of 173 km, This is still operational in the south-east Porur which was statergically replaced else where due to population outburst.
8.By far, the most important landmark in Porur is the Sri Ramachandra College and Research Institute which was opened in 1985.It is recognized as one of the premium educational institutions in the world and has tie-ups with important international universities including Harvard.
9.Alpha Arts and Science College is located in Porur.
10.The Super Saravana Stores which is a 9 Storey Shopping Mall is also one of the important Landmarks of Porur
SEZ and IT parks
There are around a total of 2,00,000 employees working in the Five IT SEZs Combined.
1.TCG IT park at Porur which have been taken up Completely by HP. It employ around 5000 people.
3.DLF Cybercity IT Park in Ramapuram with in distance 3 km
5.RMZ IT Park
Most prominent IT firm Natramizh Menporulkal is also located in Sakthi Nagar, Porur.
The DLF Cybercity IT Park consists of 30 Multi National Companies such as
1.L&T Technology Services 2.L&T Infotech, GROUPON 3.PearsonEnglish 4.TCS 5.Nue Life Healthcare 6.iGatePatni 7.IBM 8.Symantec 9.NTT Data 10.E-serve 11.Adventity 12.Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC) 13.Dell Services 14.Syntel 15.Secova 16.Petrofac 17.Virtusa 18.GRO 19.Photon Interactive 20.Plintron Mobility Solutions Private Limited 21.Cognizant 22.Sutherland 23.Mphasis 24.Technosoft 25.Raqmiyat 26.Logica 27.Barclays 28.Lapiz Online 29.Thirdware 30.Multicoreware Inc.
Schools in and around Porur
- Grace Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Holy Angels Matric Higher Secondary School
- Velammal Bodhi Campus (CBSE) School
- Pon Vidhyashram (CBSE) School
- The PSBB Millennium School, Chennai|The PSBB Millennium School
- Sri Krish International School
- Swamy's Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Government Elementary School
- Government Higher Secondary School
- St.John's Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- St.Paul's Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- MKM Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Aiyeesha Razzac Matriculation higher Secondary School
- St. Mary's Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Ravindra BharathiInternational (CBSE) School
- Assisi Matriculation School
- St. Francis International School
- Lalaji Memorial Omega International School
- St.Ann's Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Amritha vidhlaya school
- Rajiv school of excellence
Kindergarten and Play School
- Grace Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- SAI Shishya Child Care Center
- The First School
- Aerokids International Preschool
- Swamy's Brindaven
- Hello Kids - MarvelKidzee
- Vruksha Play School
- Ajitha Academy
- Time Kids
- The Blue Bells
Hospitals around Porur
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Hospital
- Acupuncture Home - a home for cure (Landmark: Porur Bus Stop on Kundrathur Road)
- Kedar Hospital
- Miot Hospital
- Venkateshwara Homeopathy Hospital
- Jeyam Clinic (24 Hours)
- Identity dental and maxillofacial clinic
- St. Joseph Hospital
- Hridhay Hospital
- Tamara Dental and Cosmetic clinic
- City Pharmacy - Bhalaji Clinic (Dr KV Sivakumar - Pediatrician) No.14, Easwaran Koil Street, Porur
- Sankaran Dental Hospital & Oral Cancer Centre.
Hotels and Restaurants in Porur
1. Absolute Barbeques (AB’s) 2. Adyar Ananda Bhavan (A2B) 3. Dindugal Thalappakatti 4. Ilapuram Biryani 5. Anjappar Chettinad Restaurant 6. Madurai Kannappar Chettinadu Restaurant 7. Kebab E que 8. Grand Residence 9. Chennai Royal Kitchen 10. Me (Meat and Eat) 11. Rohini Restaurant 12. Fasoos 13. AL Ajwain 14. Five Star Chicken 15. Arcot Biryani 16. Lake View restaurant 17. Chennai Rawther Biryani 18. Copper Kitchen 19. Domino’s Pizza 20. Goli Vada Pav No.1 21. Zurbian Restaurant 22. Moon Sun Restaurant 23. Friends Cafe 24. Ambur Chicken and Mutton Biryani Centre 25. Delhi Chaat 26. Hotel Saravana Bhavan
- Janardhanan, Arun (29 September 2011). "Chennai ATC enjoys the navigation of entire South Indian skies". The Times of India (in Tamil). Chennai: The Times Group. Retrieved 1 Dec 2012.
- Indian journal of power and river valley development, Volume 41. 1991. p. 237.
- Eastern economist, Volume 41. 1963. p. 910.
- India Major Manufacturers. Business Information Agency. p. 237.
- B. S. Baliga (1957). Madras District Gazetteers. p. 870.
- B. S. Baliga (1957). Madras District Gazetteers. p. 805.
- B. S. Baliga (1983). Madras District Gazetteers Volume 12 Part 2. p. 1273.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.